March 1, 2009

The Funny Thing About Love Is...

Love. Such a sweet simple four letter word. Or Not. I know that this has been observed time and again by multiple people but Love has enormous power. Not just the power to make someone do a crazy, irrational thing once, twice or multiple times, but rather the power to change a person completely. 

"I'm too young to be serious about anyone. I want to date lots of guys when I go to college. I wan to be free. I'm way too young to be thinking about marriage. I need to see what's out there. I need to date different types of guys and figure out what type I like before I decide to settle down with someone. And I could never, never, not ever in a million years, not even for Johnny Depp NEVER do long distance." 

That was me 5 months ago. I was on the verge of college, and my high school boyfriend of 5 months had just joined The Navy. He was heading to Boot Camp and I was heading to school and so we broke up. A logical thing to do for two people in our situation who knew that they would miss each other but also knew that they weren't ready to be serious about anything. 
We're now in a long distance (and I'm not talking 4 or 5 hours long distance, I'm talking Michigan to California long distance), committed relationship with the intention and hope of getting married and growing old together. 
So when people talk about the power of Love I don't think the examples they use are strong enough. Because anything that can get me, damn stubborn, hard-headed, unbending me, to do a 180 that drastic has got as much force as an atom bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment